Ram Horns Mark III: From Lame to Lovely

As this year’s Renaissance Faire approached, I think about the adjustments I need to make. If you’ve been following me for a bit, you know that my fall Ren Faire garb is that of yokai/animal/demon pirate.

So I needed to fix my horns. Horns Mark I were papier mache and fell apart after two wears. Horns Mark II were just too heavy. So, here we go Horns Mark III, and they’re going to be keepers.

This is where I started.

20151011_140705

Cheap, foam horns from the costume shop.

Now, my previous two variations were made from scratch. I just….can’t anymore. I’ve been trying to figure out how to make decent ram horns with inexpensive materials, and I’m running out of ideas.

So, we got these, and I went from there. First step was a coat of white acrylic paint.

20151011_170506

Literally, already looking better. Just the one coat. The second coat I added a slightly more creamy color.

After adding the creamy color, I sponged in a bisque color going from the base to the tip. I also added in some cracks and deeper grooves to make them not quite so uniform.

20151019_131748

Shabam. Three coats of paint, a little freehanding, and about two hours of work in total (not counting drying).

20151021_141224

Super cute, super light, super comfortable and actually pretty awesome looking. When I add in the “horn jewelry” and put it altogether, it’s gonna look wicked awesome.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s