Cosplay Props: The Psycho-Pass Dominator

For this, I’m actually going to redirect you to a pretty awesome tutorial I found on tumble put together by cosplayruinedmylife. This tutorial was so easy to follow, it inspired us to put together some day 2 Psycho-Pass cosplay. I’m going to reference their tutorial, and show my pics from along the way.

This is their Supply List:

What you are going to need:

  • 1 (12″ x 12″ x 5/8″) sheet of white styrofoam (I used Smoothfoam brand, it was in the flower arranging section of Michael’s)
  • 3-4 (12″ x 18″) sheets of white craft foam (I used Creatology Fun Foam, I can’t remember exactly how many sheets that I used but I think it was around 3, it’s safer to have more)
  • Black acrylic paint
  • White acrylic paint
  • Brown acrylic paint
  • Silver 3D fabric paint (in the little squirt bottles for detailing)
  • Teal or green metallic 3D fabric paint (same as above)
  • Exacto-knife
  • Glue gun (make sure you have lots of glue sticks)
  • 2 small red gems
  • Fine tip black sharpie
  • Small paint brushes
  • Pencil
  • Tracing paper (or regular printer paper works as well)

I also used:

  • Silver paint pen
  • clear sticker paper
  • black dimensional fabric paint
  • blue dimensional fabric paint
  • and red dimensional fabric paint instead of a jewels
  • Dark brown sharpie
  • spray adhesive

The first part is getting your pattern. The one she provides in the above link is brilliant.

To get it to scale up to 13″, I brought it into photoshop and scaled it up appropriately. Then I saved as a jpeg, and printed on multiple sheets via MS Paint.

Cut it with my X-Acto, and cut out the basic shape on Styrofoam.

20150920_190240 20150921_190108

The post goes into the next part about gluing strips along the outside edges of the gun and making the big foam piece for the sides of the gun.

This is where it started getting tricky, and I wish I had done things differently. The next part of the post describes cutting up the template into separate pieces to make the next layer and bring dimensionality to the gun. She provides the cut lines in the link, but this is where you basically end up.

20150926_145620

Instead of cutting up the initial paper template I had used, I wished I had made a second template that was just slightly bigger to account for the ever so slightly bigger gun I now had before me. It doesn’t seem like much, but the rim of foam adds about an 1/8th of an inch all the way around, which is just enough to make things not quite fit together, right. When you also consider that cutting the styrofoam might ever so slow slightly change the shape, the puzzle pieces don’t go back together quite as nicely.

Also, instead of using a glue gun for all my foam parts, I used spray adhesive. I found that the hot glue created just a little bit of a space between the foam and the Styrofoam.

hot glue
hot glue
spray adhesive
spray adhesive

I managed to get all the pieces glued into place, but it was then that I realized there were a lot of imperfections that I would need to fix if I ever made these again.

20150926_172650

As recommended in the post, I used a dark gray as my all-over paint so that the black details stood out more.

20150928_131624

This was the first coat. I could have stopped, but I wanted to go a little darker. Because I was going to be painting the handle pieces a different color, I painted them separately, then glued them on after.

20150928_151750

After a second darker gray coat, I also put on a glossy top coat to give a it a shinier, more plastic looking finish. I think a satin would look better, but I was out. If and when I update these, that’s what I’ll do. I also painted my handle parts more brown than in OP’s pics, because it was a little closer to what I was seeing in the show.

Next were the details, and they were tricky as hell.

20150930_173854

This is what I ended up with just before I cleaned some of the lines up a bit. I had to freehand a lot of stuff, but a good ruler is a girl’s best friend.

In mine you’ll note that I used black paint for the rivets instead of silver. I thought they looked better. I also did some of my lights slightly differently because of…stuff..

Instead of painting in the Dominator logo, I made little stickers.

20150930_164927

I still had to paint in the Sibyl logo, however, because the silver and blue just didn’t show up in sticker form.

All in all, I really wish I had had more time to work on this project. They look pretty great from a distance, but there are a lot of little imperfections that I don’t feel like I would have had if I wasn’t so pressed for time.

But that’s me. I need to stop doing that.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s